I recently quit my job to (re)start my own software company so I decided to do some research to find out more about the responsibilities of a CEO.
During the search I found a great article from Steve Robbins in which he talks about several components of a CEO’s job function.
The article itself outlines a CEO’s job description including some important related job topics. The basic outline is this:
- A CEO Job Description
- Measuring Success as a CEO
- Pitfalls and solutions for the CEO
- Coaching tips to stay sane and skillful at the top of the heap
The job description he writes about is very simple and it can be distilled into four duties:
A CEO Job Description
- Setting strategy and vision
- Building culture
- Capital allocation (how to spend money to achieve the vision)
Reflecting back on my experiences in The Workplace, I think this is a great list with which to start.
- Article from Steve Robbins’ website: What do CEOs do? A CEO Job Description.